Afghan Officials Send High-Profile Sexual Assault Case to Court
KABUL: The Office of Attorney General on Wednesday confirmed the case against First Vice President Gen. Abdul Rashid Dostum has been sent to the court for further proceedings.
Dostum was charged after lodging accusation by his rival Ahmad Ishchi last year who claimed that he was being kidnapped, raped and physically tortured by Dostum’s personal guards as per orders and direction of the first vice president.
This development was made just hours after the US Ambassador to Kabul, Hugo LIorens spoke into the matter, saying, “Charges of sexual harassment and assault against Dostum are very serious and emphasized on legal and judicial organs to investigate the case in a fair and transparent way.”
The U.S ambassador added that his country completely supports the Afghanistan’s legal and judicial organs in their proceedings for a fair and transparent investigation into the matter.
“The allegations against the first vice president including charges of rape and assault are extremely serious and warrant close legal review by the attorney general and other judicial authorities of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan,” said Llorens.
However, Dostum has been left the country almost two months ago for Istanbul-capital of Turkey citing treatment as the reason.
Last day in a press briefing held at Presidential Palace, President Ashraf Ghani said the Dostum is in Turkey for treatment based on the permission of the Attorney General’s Office.